While the name “Pufferfish” may not sound terrifying, it’s still one of the deadliest animals in the world. It’s found in tropical oceans and mainly lives in East Asia, in countries such as the Philippines, China, and Japan. It’s not an animal that will come and chase you down, but it carries a highly toxic poison that can cause permanent damage to a human and even kill them. Their position, called tetrodotoxin, is around 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide. It causes several central nervous system damages. Symptoms typically begin 20 minutes to two hours after ingesting the poison. The poison is strong enough to kill up to 30 humans.
There’s also no known antidote for the poison, so if you do accidentally ingest it, chances are, you will die. That’s enough of a reason to stay far away from the pufferfish. Even touching it is enough to permanently damage your hands. The position exists on the exterior of the pufferfish, on its gonads, liver, muscle tissue, and skin. Interestingly enough, many people in Japan consider the Pufferfish to be a delicacy and ingest the fish. It doesn’t come without risks, though, since several people die every single year just from ingesting the fish (Flamingoof).